Hi there, welcome to Followria.com, here you can find useful tips and tricks for your Windows 10/11 operating system. In this article, I’m going to show you how to find your Windows 10/11 product key using CMD, also known as Command Prompt.
A product key is a 25-character code that’s used to activate Windows and verify that it’s genuine. PRODUCT KEY looks something like this: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX. When you reinstall Windows or upgrade to a new version, then you may need a valid product key.
Here are some ways to find your product key, such as looking at the sticker on your device, checking your confirmation email, or using a third-party app. But one of the easiest way is to use CMD. CMD is a built-in tool that lets you execute commands on your computer.
Here are the steps to find your Windows 10 or 11 product key using CMD:
- Open CMD by typing “cmd” in the search box on the taskbar or press Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box, then type “cmd” and hit Enter.
- In the CMD window, type the following command and press Enter: wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey
- Your product key will be displayed on the screen.
- If you want to save your product key in a text file, you can use this command instead: wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey > productkey.txt
- This will create a text file named “productkey.txt” in the same folder where you opened CMD. You can open it with any text editor to see your product key.
That’s it! You’ve successfully found your Windows 10/11 product key using CMD. You can use this method anytime you need to retrieve your product key for activation or verification purposes.
How do I Find my Windows 11 License Key?
You can use the same method as above to find your Windows 11 license key. Because Windows 11 uses the same product key format as Windows 10. So, by using CMD, you can get it in a few seconds.
However, if you want to upgraded your Microsoft from Windows 10 to Windows 11 for free, then you don't need a separate product key for Windows 11. Instead, you might have a digital license that’s linked to your Microsoft account and device. A digital license is a way of activating Windows without entering a product key.
If you want to check a digital license for Windows 11, follow these steps:
- Open Windows Settings and click on Activation in the left sidebar.
- You should see a message that says “Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account”. If you see this message, you don’t need a product key for Windows 11.
- If you don’t see this message, you might need to enter your product key or sign in with your Microsoft account to activate Windows 11.
I hope you learned this answer how to find your Windows 10/11 product key using CMD. If you have any questions or leave a comment below. And don’t forget to like and share this answer with your friends. Also check out our other articles on Followria.com for more Windows tips and tricks.